Saturday, March 22, 2014

Talium est enim regnum caelorum

After the Spanish Mass, a lady was waiting patiently to talk to me. ¿Padre, está Ud. apresurado? Always busy, Señora, but tell me ...

I was tired at the end of a long day, and my Spanish suffers as a result. It took me a while to figure out what she was saying. She only wanted to give me some money. She said she had been in jail a while back, but was acquitted and released. She works as a waitress to support her family. "I don't make much, but I want to give something of what I've earned. One part for the church. The other to help someone like me -- someone who is coming out of prison. God helped me so much," she said, wiping away tears. "You would know how to get it to someone like that, Padre."

It wasn't a huge sum in absolute numbers. But it was weighty! Weightier than millions! More lustrous than all the gold of Sheba. I smiled and thanked her. She took my hand, knelt and kissed it. I sat in silence after she had left.

What a joy, what a privilege to see Christ at work in His little ones. Talium est enim regnum caelorum ... to such as these belongs the Kingdom of Heaven. 

The Widow's Mite. Basilical of S. Appolinnare, Ravenna. 6th C. 

1 comment:

Sr. Dorcee said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this. We can all give out of our poverty.