Monday, July 15, 2013

The Universal Prayer of Pope Clement XI

One of the delights of the Third Edition of the Roman Missal in English is to be found in the Appendices. There is an appendix that is dedicated to prayers for the priest for preparation for Mass and thanksgiving after Mass. (The prayers are suitable to be said by anyone, and memorizing one of these is a wonderful way to get into a habit to prepare to assist at the Holy Sacrifice, and to give thanks to God for the great gift of the Holy Eucharist.) Among these is the "Universal Prayer" attributed to Pope Clement XI. I had first heard this a few years back, at a daily Mass. One of our priests recites this at the end of Mass. I found it to be really beautiful. It is available in the handy "Laudate" Catholic app (on Android), and I had made a habit of praying it after receiving Holy Communion during my seminary days. It is even more beautiful now to pray this after having celebrated Mass as a priest. 

This translation is the same as in the Missal. The Latin text with a literal translation is also available (pdf link). 
I believe, O Lord, but may I believe more firmly
I hope, but may I hope more securely,
I love, but may I love more ardently
I sorrow, but may I sorrow more deeply. 
I adore you as my first beginning;
I long for you as my last end;
I praise you as my constant benefactor;
I invoke you as my gracious protector. 
By your wisdom direct me,
by your righteousness restrain me,
by your indulgence console me,
by your power protect me. 
I offer you, Lord, my thoughts to be directed to you,
my words, to be about you;
my deeds, to respect your will,
my trials to be endured for you. 
I will whatever you will,
I will it because you will it,
I will it in the way you will it,
I will it for as long as you will it. 
Lord, enlighten my understanding, I pray:
arouse my will,
cleanse my heart,
sanctify my soul. 
May I weep for past sins,
repel future temptations,
correct evil inclinations,
nurture appropriate virtues. 
Give me, good 'God,
love for you, hatred for myself,
zeal for my neighbor,
contempt for the world. 
May I strive to obey superiors,
to help those dependent on me,
to have care for my friends,
forgiveness for my enemies. 
May I conquer sensuality by austerity,
avarice by generosity,
anger by gentleness,
lukewarmness by fervor. 
Render me prudent in planning,
steadfast in danger,
patient in adversity,
humble in prosperity. 
Make me, O Lord, attentive at prayer,
moderate at meals,
diligent in work,
steadfast in intent. 
May I be careful to maintain interior innocence,
outward modesty,
exemplary behavior,
a regular life. 
May I be always watchful in subduing nature,
in nourishing grace,
in observing your law,
in winning salvation. 
May I learn from you
how precarious are earthly things,
how great divine things,
how fleeting is time,
how lasting things eternal. 
Grant that I may prepare for death, fear judgment,
flee hell,
gain paradise.
Through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

3 comments:

St. Izzy said...

The Latin is also available on a standard web page at the wondrous Treasury of Latin Prayers (Thesaurus Precum Latinarum): http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/PostMissam/Universalis.html

St. Izzy said...

The Latin is also available on a plain old web page at the wondrous Thesaurus Precum Latinarum (Treasury of Latin Prayers): http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/PostMissam/Universalis.html

St. Izzy said...

Oh, and the iPhone Laudate app has the English bot not the Latin, however the Daily Roman Missal (OSV / MTF) has it bilingually.