Friday, June 06, 2008

Paul VI's "Credo of the People of God"

Sandro Magister on the text that Paul VI proclaimed from St. Peter's Square at the end of the "Year of Faith" in 1968. Apparently, the text was pretty much one proposed by the French philosopher Jacques Maritain.

Fascinating history.

I've never actually read the Credo of the People of God.

I have, however, read the Dutch Catechism. It was what was used during my catechumenate, as I was preparing for Baptism. :: sigh ::

[Aside: I guess I need to add The Peasant of Garonne to the to read list!]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your Dutch Catechism have the chunk of corrections and additions appended to the end? Should have been a clue to me and you (I go way back to 1969 entering the Church). My priest used the early most-awful edition of Christ Among Us. I wasn't aware enough to prune out all the low-hanging waffles, but I stumbled on The Peasant of the Garonne. By the time Maritain wrote this, his beloved wife/editor had died and he admits he left in a lot of sarcasm she would have penciled through. It was, and is, delightful. About 15 minutes after the Council, he had already sniffed out the trend toward emptying the faith of its ancient content. Enjoy. All the best. Yours in Christ,
Jim McCullough
Greensboro, NC

Gashwin said...

Thanks Jim. I have no idea ... remember, I was a catechumen. I had no real idea about what was right and what wasn't as I was coming through. This was back in the early 90s, before the release of the Universal Catechism (what a gift to the Church!).