Monday, June 30, 2008

The Archdiocese of Atlanta has a new seminarian.

Yours truly. Just got a call from the Vocation Director, and it's all official!

As many of you know, after I left the Paulists, I applied to the Archdiocese of Atlanta to continue my discernment and formation towards the priesthood. I have been placed in a parish assignment for the past several months in a small parish in the north Georgia mountains. I'll be blogging a little more about my experiences, as I can, soon. I've had a blast, and it's only confirmed the sense of my vocation to the secular priesthood, here in the South and in N. Georgia.

The Archdiocese is sending me to Mount Saint Mary's Seminary, up in Emmitsburg, MD, starting sometime in August. I still have philosophy to finish, so I will be a pre-theologian.

This is a day of great joy and immense gratitude to the Lord who has lead me thus far, and into whose hands I commit my entire being again. I also continue to ask for the guidance and blessings of our loving Mother, whose hand I have felt guiding me at so many points in my life, not the least of which was the day of my baptism, August 15. I pray that the intercessions of my personal patrons -- St. Ignatius of Loyola (my Confirmation saint) and St. Paul (my hero!) will continue to guide me. And, finally, I carry with me what I have learned of Fr. Isaac Thomas Hecker, the founder of the Paulist Fathers, whose zeal and vision continue to inspire me.

Please join me in praying a Te Deum today!

GAUDEAMUS IGITUR!

PS: Unless things have changed, the Mount has a "no blogs" policy for seminarians. So, the days of this blog are numbered. If I can, I will leave it up for posterity, and resume blogging as I am permitted. Oh well. Obedience, here I come! :)

12 comments:

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! We're so thrilled for you, for the DoA, and for our whole Holy Mother Church. Save me & Izzy front-row seats for your ordination.

Anonymous said...

that is very good news. the Paulist's loss is Atlanta's gain. Congratulations on being a seminarian once again. God is good.

masalai said...

Well good. Congratulations. And you'll be back in the vicinity of DC again: a very pleasant place for friends to come and see you. (Not that there's anything wrong with Atlanta: I'm sure it's a great place to live, pace Pico Iyer; I just wouldn't much want to visit there. On the other hand, perhaps having a friend there to visit would introduce me to a wonderful place I otherwise would have no occasion to discover.

Kraft said...

No blogs! Oh no!

Congrats. I'm glad to hear about this step in your discernment, even though I'm personally sadden that I won't be able to keep up on your insights!

Would you be able to maintain an e-mail list? Like the old days before blogs? :-)

God bless!
Kraft

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Thanks y'all. @Kraft -- that I certainly hope to be able to do! I'll be inviting my blog readership to sign up before the curtain falls on here ... :)

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

@Mac: at some point you'll have to come visit me in Atlanta and you'll get the grand tour then! :)

EegahInc said...

Woo hoo! Another good catch for us here in the Atlanta area. Congratulations, you'll be in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm also in Atlanta and thrilled that you will be a seminarian for our Archdiocese. Your blog is great - I check in from time to time - and I will miss it very much.

Sherry W said...

G:

Wonderful, fabulous news! Praise God! Fr. Mike and I both send our congrats.

Although I am sad about the blog!

Will we see you in Spokane?

Fr. Andrew said...

Congratulations! I hope the obedience of not blogging will be fruitful and applied to your formation as obedient priest. Remember that we only make one vow of celibacy but two of obedience! ***GULP***

God Bless.

Heather said...

Congratulations G! This is incredibly exciting and I wish you the best of luck. Since you'll be closer, perhaps I can wrangle a few of the old fold to venture up to visit you (especially since you're near Gettysburg).

I'll have to go in search of another place to keep me up to date on all that's Catholic (or airplanes, or Carolina, etc.) but the idea of you being one more step closer to leading your own flock is enough to console me.

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Gashwin. The blogosphere's loss, but Atlanta's gain.