Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Dear Right vs. Left Patriot ... "

So began an email that was caught by the spam filter in one of my inboxes. Now I get stuff from a variety of mailing lists: I've no idea what the folks at "Right vs. Left" promote, and I'm sure I'll agree with some of it (so much of my politics is tilting rightward) ... but definitelynot all (Capital punishment, immigration, are just some of the areas where I'm not a political conservative). Anyway, the email asked that I read the attached message from an organization called Numbers USA. Which, it turns out, is an anti-immigration outfit. They're promoting a bill sponsored by Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) that would establish a system of electronic verification of documents that establish the right to work in the United States, things such as Social Security Cards.

The effect will be, of course, to make it next to impossible for the current "grey zone" to continue to exist, where so many undocumented workers produce false papers and employers look the other way. There is a huge and flourishing black-market in false papers, of course. It's an extension of the "build-the-fence" mentality, that would continue the trend of making it harder for illegal aliens to make a living in the US. The bill probably won't see the light of day. I don't think it's the right approach to solve the broken system.

The email asked me to vote in support or against the proposal. I voted against. Here's a screenshot of the results page.



Perhaps the folks at Right vs. Left need to re-target their mailing list? :)

No comments: