Sunday, October 14, 2007

Holy Transfiguration Melkite Greek Catholic Church

While in SC, I would go on occasion to St. Ignatios Melkite Greek Catholic Church across the border in Augusta, GA. Given my love for the Eastern liturgy, it was only a matter of time before I sought out a Melkite parish here -- there's one across the border in McLean, VA.

It's a beautiful church (larger than the one in Augusta), with a larger congregation, a lot more ethnic Middle Eastern. The service was, of course, heavenly. They had a handy pamphlet with the responses of the Liturgy of St. John Chrystostom, but not a full hymnal, like the parish in Augusta does. I was quite pleased that the chants came back to me so easily. I had another commitment afterwards, so I left immediately after the liturgy and didn't stick around to meet the priests. I will be back though.

[In the row in front of me were three rather formidable Middle Eastern ladies who kept looking back at me furtively. I guess they were trying to peg the tall, brown, bearded visitor! :)]

[I picked up a few pamphlets and brochures, one of which was the Adult Education schedule. Topics include: The Sin of Contraception (not too many Catholic parishes discussing this! The presenter of this series is an art historian, and the author of a book, "How to Enjoy the Boring Parts of the Bible." That's worth looking into too!), Timothy, Titus and Beyond: The Role and Early Development of the Office of Bishops, and Christianity on Trial: Legal Evidence of the Resurrection. Absolutely fascinating, though I'm not sure I'll be able to get to one of these. I'm going to try though!]

This earlier post has links to photos of the parish in Augusta, as well as links about the Melkite liturgy.

And while surfing around YouTube (isn't it wonderful?), I came across this neat video of the Our Father chanted in Syriac (a dialect of Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke). It's quite beautiful.

The prayer after Communion from the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom:
We thank You, Master who love mankind, Benefactor of our souls, for having today made us worthy of you heavenly and immortal mysteries. Make straight our paths, establish us in your fear, guard our life, steady our footsteps, through the prayers and supplications of the glorious Mother of God and ever virgin May and of all your saints. For You are our sanctification, and we render glory to You, to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever and ever.

No comments: