Saturday, September 08, 2007

Planespotting at DCA

Earlier in the day, we had a few hours to kill before kickoff, so at my suggestion we ended up at the Gravelly Point Park, just north of Runway 1-19 at National Airport. A beautiful day, and it's one of the most awesome places to watch the birds come down as they make that final low-altitude bank to the right over the Potomac, and line up to the runway centerline, on the famous River Visual approach to Runway 19. The winds were right, and we saw numerous planes (the largest being an American 757) do just that. One ERJ took off on Runway 15, but the rest were landing and taking off on 19.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera. Here's a couple of shots from the cell phone. Some awesome ones at this site, and one (of several) videos at YouTube.

I'll be back. And I'll bring my camera. And a good number of white folk along as well, so I don't end up in Gitmo ... :)


1 comment:

Heather said...

I drive past there everyday and everytime I think I should call you and see if you want to go!