Monday, August 27, 2007

Remembering Fr. Francis

Today is the first anniversary of the death of Abbot Francis Kline, OCSO, the former abbot of the Abbey of Our Lady of Mepkin, near Moncks Corner, SC. The Spring 2007 issue of Mepkin's newsletter, Chapter & Verse, is a tribute to this remarkable man. Here's a brief snippet from an excerpt from a letter he wrote 13 days before his death. The letter was addressed to the Abbots and Abbesses of the US Region of Trappists, and was printed in the above newsletter.
God has spoken. His Word has changed me into a contemplative which I never thought I would become. By that I mean I feel totally taken over by God. Quite literally I have no one else. Nor do I wish for any one else. My deepest desires flow out of this experience. I want to share this with you, the Region, those who are dearest to me in the Order. I wish that you pray with me for this Mepkin community. This is how we remain united, when we pray with and for each other. In this unity of prayer, let us determine to run together ... toward the heavenly homeland. It is closer to all of us than we think.

No comments: