Friday, August 17, 2007

Pather Panchali


Image courtesy satyajitray.org


You know, I've never seen Satyajit Ray's debut classic.

So we got a rental last night. (The goal is to see the rest of the trilogy, Aparajito and Apur Sansar as well).

Wow. What a movie! What brilliant cinematography! What an atmosphere! How real and how alive! And little Apu's eyes!

I wish I could understand Bengali. (Well spoken slowly I guess I could pick up, oh, I don't know, 30-40% of a conversation? But who speaks slowly in movies?)

1 comment:

angelmeg said...

That is what subtitles are for: my brother uses Spanish movies to brush up on his Spanish. Only using the subtitles when he has tried to understand the film the first time through.

You are way ahead of me, I can barely speak English and understand no other languages. Sigh, I will need at least three to pursue a Doctorate in any discipline.

If God wills it He will make a way, but I am getting too old I fear to really master any other language.