Friday, August 10, 2007

The obsequies of Jean-Marie Cardinal Lustiger

[Had to interrupt the reportage of the Banaras trip to mention the funeral of this remarkable man.]

The Cardinal's grand-nephew sprinkles dirt from the Holy Land on his coffin. Photo courtesy Yahoo.


John Allen's coverage in the Wall Street Journal: The Conservative Revolutionary..

Rocco has a beautiful piece up: Kaddish for the Cardinal, and he translates the La Croix coverage of the funeral. A commemorative plague for the Cardinal in Notre Dame Cathedral will read:
I was born Jewish.

I recived the name

Of my paternal grandfather, Aaron

Having become Christian

By faith and by Baptism,

I have remained Jewish

As did the Apostles.

I have as my patron saints
Aaron the High Priest,
Saint John the Apostle,
Holy Mary full of grace.
Named 139th archbishop of Paris
by His Holiness Pope John-Paul II,
I was enthroned in this Cathedral
on 27 February 1981,
And here I exercised my entire ministry.
Passers by, pray for me.
† Aaron Jean-Marie Cardinal Lustiger
Archevêque de Paris
(I don't know about you, but reading that gave me goosebumps. RIP.)

2 comments:

Alan Carter said...

Beautiful indeed. I've been moved by the late Cardinal's wishes to honor his Jewish birth and his Catholic faith.

I read your blog all the time, and really appreciate your sharing. I recently got "tagged" by another man just beginning his discernment journey. He's "where I was" when I first found your blog, so I thought I'd tag you with it as well.

Thoughts on the Journey...: 8 Things About Me

Thanks again for the time you take in posting to the blog. I LOVE the pictures, and how you share your culture and country with us.

Gashwin said...

Alan -- thanks for dropping by and tagging me! Thanks also for your kind words. Glad to have "met" you!