Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

Funny. Growing up Mother's Day and Father's Day just didn't exist in India. They started to come in vogue around the time I came to the US, and judging by the email I get from the various desi online shopping sites I've used, they've caught on. Since we never did anything growing up, we never really marked these days in the family.

And now it's the first Father's day since Papa died. I'm in the City visiting R. Her dad and my dad were best friends for over half a century (which is why she's effectively my big sister. And well, she is my rakhi sister too. Though it's been ages since we were ever in the same place for Rakshabandhan). Her father died just about two years ago.

So, in honor of our dads we're going to Carnegie Hall in the evening to a performance by the Emerson String Quartet. Our fathers would have loved it.

I miss you Papa!

No comments: