Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Blessed Mary Mackillop

[I just wrote a long post and the connection to the WiFi spot died as I tried to publish. Aargh!] I took the train to North Sydney this morning, on the North Shore across the harbor. A short walk uphill from the station on Mount Street is Mary Mackillop Place -- where the tomb of Australia's only saint-to-be is located, along with a museum, and the headquarters of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart, the congregation she founded. She dedicated her life to educating the poor in the outback and was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1995.

I spent a lot of time in prayer at the Blessed's tomb, and then visited the museum (more on that when I get some time after I recover from the journey back to the US).



Part of the psalmody from today's Office of Readings was Psalm 39, very apt given what is written on the Blessed's tomb.
"LORD, let me know my end, and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is! Behold, thou hast made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing in thy sight. Surely every man stands as a mere breath! ... "Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears! For I am thy passing guest, a sojourner, like all my fathers. Look away from me, that I may know gladness, before I depart and be no more!" (RSV)

No comments: