Friday, January 19, 2007

Kai eucharistoi ginesthe

"And be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Incredible (or trite) as it may sound, I am incredibly thanfkul. I'm so glad to be here. Everything is in stark relief, as if light were shining on the world for the first time. Like one is seeing reality for the first time.

And each moment is precious.

And I'm so thankful for the emails and comments and Facebook messages that have come in. I can feel the support from friends and loved ones and Paulists, as well as strangers. Thank y'all. I apologize that I haven't been responding to individual emails yet. (And for my friends -- keep the emails coming. Let me know what's going on with you. Talk to me on AIM. And don't worry about what to say ... I'll be glad to hear from you. Heck, even call ... I'll be emailing out tips on how to make cheap calls to the subcontinent soon. I'm very keenly aware that my primary support group is some 9000+ miles away.)

Right now it looks like my body clock will be sticking to Eastern Time ... I'm with dad at night, and he wakes up several times. So, I've been sleeping in the afternoon.

I do plan to continue blogging, but not about what's going on here (it's really too personal for such a public medium), apart from the occasional updates so folks can fine tune the prayers. Blogging, I've decided, is a good way to tune out of here for a little bit, and exercise the mind, read a bit and do what this blog mostly does -- share what I've been reading and what thoughts emerge from that interaction.

Finally, prayer has become even easier. I was a little surprised by this actually. It's a grace that I am, yet again, grateful for. How dependent are we, every moment of our existence, on God's grace!

The hymn we sang (the first time really that the novices sang in the choir -- or rather, as the choir! -- at the Saturday community Mass) last week has been floating around my head, and is, right now, the prayer of my heart.

Lead me, guide me along the way,
For if you lead me I cannot stray.
Lord let me walk each day with Thee.
Lead me, oh Lord lead me.
I am weak and I need Thy strength and power,
To help me over my weakest hour.
Let me through the darkness Thy face to see,
Lead me, oh Lord lead me.

2 comments:

Susan Rose, CSJP said...

You are definitely in my prayers. I understand what you mean about prayer being surprisingly easy. Some of my most intense (and effortless) prayer experiences were at my mother's bedside in the ICU.

Peace to you and your family,
Susan

mike a. said...

Thanks for the update, G. I'm offering my March for your dad.