Friday, January 26, 2007

Intentional discipleship

Amy has an interesting post up on this topic, one that is close to my heart. I have these inchoate thoughts rumbling about my head about "ethnic" Catholicism, versues (what I've termed) evangelical Catholicism. I've seen and experienced the former mainly in India, but it is certainly present in the US. The latter is what excites me, and is, of course, why I am Catholic.

Some of these thoughts were clarified and focused by reading Cardinal Newman's "Parochial and Plain Sermons." In many of these he took "respectable" religion (what I'd call "ethnic Catholicism," mutatis mutandis) head on.

Anyway, I haven't really had time to read all the stuff that's roiling around St. Blogs on this topic ... for me, I think of Catholicism in terms of "intentional discipleship," and, ideally, in that good Catholic both/and fashion, would like to see it wedded to the many strengths of "ethnic" Catholicism.

Yes, huge generalities there. No time (or mental energy) to put any of this down in any coherent fashion right now. Some day. Insha'llah.

No comments: