Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Conversion of St. Paul


Today is the patronal feast for the Paulist Fathers, and a day that has been special for me for years now.

I, however, do not have much energy for a lengthy blogpost -- the day was spent running around and learning more about managing cancer pain. In fact, I have not managed to get to my Breviary until just now (it's nearing the end of the day in India)!

So, here's a link to last year's post, with that arresting image of the young Paul lying stricken on the ground, in Caravaggio's famous "Conversion of St. Paul," as well as the lyrics of the anthem of the Society: "Lead us great teacher Paul."

Fr. Z has a great post of quotes from the Fathers relating to the conversion of St. Paul. [Hat-tip Mike Aquilina]

St. Anthony Messenger Press's Saint of the Day for today's Feast.

The January Edition of the online Paulist magazine, The Catholic World, has a piece by Fr. Paul Robichaud CSP on the tomb of St. Paul, recently rediscovered underneath the Basilica of St. Paul-outside-the-Walls.

I'm heading to bed, so I won't wait up to read what the Holy Father said at the Vespers (probably going on right now) at the Basilica of St. Paul Outside-the-Walls.

I stumbled across this interesting article from the archives at Time, about the Paulist Trailer Fathers, spreading the Word in the rural South. Somehow, I think, the Apostle to the Gentiles would have been proud.

Finally, I paraphrase the words of St. Paul to his friend Philemon, and make them my own ... to all those who are praying for my father and my family: "For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, [my brothers and sisters] because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed in you." (Phlm 7)

1 comment:

coray said...

prayers, best wishes