Monday, December 04, 2006

Don't worry, it's appropriate

... I was on the phone with a friendly rep at the Discover Card customer service center in Arizona a few minutes back, to activate my newly arrived card. "So I expect you're off to help govern our nation out there in Washington?" "Umm ... no. I'm a seminarian." Well, he's Catholic ... was taught by the Jesuits and then the Franciscans and so on. Still goes to Church ... "So, I guess it'll be ok to say God Bless you in your journey!" Sure, I won't report you buddy! Happy Advent to you too! "You're my first call ... you really made my day!"

You know, I guess I'll get used to it, but it's weird how saying I'm a seminarian opens up some conversations (like with that flight attendant on the BOM-AMS flight) with complete strangers. (And in a way that saying "I'm a lay minister" or "campus minister" never really did.) I guess this is only the beginning ...

4 comments:

Ambrose said...

In the early 70s when my dad was attending St. Vincent College in Latrobe, he used to let people who picked him up hitch-hiking back to campus from his parents' house in New Jersey that he was a seminarian there. Despite the fact that he looked like Aqualung at the time.....

Gashwin said...

Presumably, he didn't go on to Ordination? :-)

And ... Aqualung? Google tells me it's a music band. Oh I have such lacunae in my Americanization ... :-)

Ambrose said...

Oh, Aqualung was a song by Jethro Tull of that same period about some nasty creepy guy on a park bench. Imagine early 70s long hair, long beard, shabby hippy clothes, probably unwashed.
And he wasn't a seminarian, just a college sophomore, but when he said he was headed to Latrobe or St. Vincent, people assumed he meant the seminary. Never failed to get him there.

EcceAdam said...

At least you don't have to go around telling people you're a professional fundraiser for the Catholic Church. That never fails to start a conversation.