Friday, September 01, 2006

The view from my window ...

 

On a grey, rainy day in Washington as the remnants of Ernesto dump their stuff on the District. The weather matches my mood: I'm a little surprised at the intensity of my homesickness. I guess I'm realizing how deep the roots I'd put down in South Carolina were.

However, most of my photos and pictures have been put up, the room feels a little more civilized, I'm enjoying getting to know my brother novices, and I had a few great conversations with friends on the phone ... including some who'd left Columbia recently as well and have gone through a similar patch themselves, which was very helpful. As was spending some time in prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

At Vespers, the reading was from the Letter to the Romans:
We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves; let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to edify him. For Christ did not please himself; but, as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached thee fell on me." For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope.

May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Rom 15:1-6, RSV)
How apt for the beginning of the Novitiate!

[And can someone explain to me why the four volume set of the Liturgy of the Hours has shorter readings for Lauds and Vespers than the one volume Christian Prayer?] Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Elenion said...

[And can someone explain to me why the four volume set of the Liturgy of the Hours has shorter readings for Lauds and Vespers than the one volume Christian Prayer?]

I've often wondered the same thing. If you find out, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I saw your question on Amy Welborn's Open Book blog. Congrats on entering the seminary! May this be a time of grace for you as you discern your vocation in serving the Lord.

The General Introduction of the Liturgy of the Hours discusses the two independent reading cycles: one year (found in the 4 volume set) and two year (found in the Supplement). Specifically, check out nn. 145-53.

FrMichael

Gashwin said...

Fr. Michael ... thanks so much! The Internet does make one so lazy! I should have gone to the General Introduction first!