Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Red Sox Game


Well, I've never been to a baseball game before. Nope. All these years living in the US. A few years back, a friend (thanks Tom J!) had sat me down and explained the game to me. Everyone says it's like cricket. Well, it involves guys batting and balls being pitched and running. That's about it.



So, what better place to get a Baseball 101 Lesson than at historic Fenway Park? [Dogwood called as we got to the stadium. His wife is from New England. "You lucky SOB!" Sorry! :)] Novice brother Tom did a fantastic job explaining the game to me, and I definitely have a better appreciation for the national sport. [Besides, this might help on the citizenship test, perhaps? :-)]


That's the Red Sox star hitter David Ortiz.


It's a much slower paced sport. (Well, not as slow as cricket, where a Test Match lasts five days, and the "short version" lasts a full day) Very different from football (that's American Football for those outside the US!) ... not as high energy, and longer. But still, well, fun.


I'm also always struck by how sporting events are such patriotic events. The colors are displayed. The national anthem sung. Tonight, jets from a nearby airforce base did a fly over. Recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor from the New England region were honored.



And, yes, this was actually my first time singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame! :)

Oh, the Tampa Bay Devils completley wiped out the Red Sox. 11-0 in the 7th inning (When I left. The rest of the guys wanted to sit out the whole game. So yeah, I'm not a diehard fan. :))
Technorati Tags:

6 comments:

Napoleon said...

I'm soooooo jealous, It looks like you had a good time.

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Who knew you'd never been to a game? Did you fail to notice the home town college team that was good enough to go to the College World Series? ;-)

Besides the Citizenship test, baseball shows up in so many American expressions, such as pitching an idea, being out in left field, getting to 2nd base, 7th inning stretch, O-for-April (talk to a Rangers fan), getting to the show, etc. Who knows? You might need to give a homily in a baseball town some day--better go to a few more games.

Izzy loved going to games back when our (then) hometown team, the Durham Bulls, were a Single A franchise. There was time to contemplate and watch the game, without scads of promotions and games between innings. He's more of a baseball purist than am I.

Liz,
stood next to Dogwood as he was blessing you out tonight.

Gashwin said...

Oh no ... didn't fail to notice at all. With our pastor and my previous boss, how could I not? :) Just ... I never actually made it to a game!

:)

Gashwin said...

Oh yeah ... and, I'm actually quite familiar with all the expressions you used. I've just picked them up and learned to use them, but never thought much about their provenance. :)

Dogwood Dell said...

Gahwin,

First - I'm surprised you never attended a game at USC.

Second - I'm surprised you have no real understanding about the game prior to last night.

Third - I'm surprised that you got tickets to the Red Soxs at Fenway!

In all, I'm surprised.

Now I need to teach you how to keep score during the game so you can have a better appreciation of the game. It's not slow if you keep score and you start seeing the strategy.

Glad you experienced your first game at Fenway. It's a fun little park.

BTW...Mrs. Dell is also surprised.

Gashwin said...

@Dogwood ... yeah, what can I say? But I didn't grow up with baseball. We left the States when I was just a kid. I didn't return till I was 21. I grew up on cricket. I became a football fan only at Carolina. That just never happened for me with respect to baseball.

As to the tickets? It was pure grace! And the local Paulists being really nice to their novices. :)