Thursday, September 28, 2006

Does Gmail not know I'm in seminary?

So, you know how Gmail populates your browser screen with ads based partly on the text of the email you're reading? You also have the opton of having a news-feed on the top of the page. I have it set to give headlines from my favorite blogs and news sites. And periodically, something random pops up. Like this link: askmen.com - top 99 most desirable women online.

Ordinarily, I don't think I'd even have glanced at that ... until I remembered (it's still been only a month you know) that I am offiially a novice now, so it became quite amusing.

Go figure. Maybe it's a sign -- to quote St. Peter (whose admonition shows up at as a reading at Compline with ominous regularity): "Stay sober and alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, solid in faith." (1 Peter 5:8-9a)

[Time to slink off to bed. Donning the breastplate of faith and all that ... :-D]

4 comments:

pritcher said...

That reading always jumps out at me, too. Does Compline have a 4-week cycle? (Christian Prayer just has one week of night prayer, so that reading comes up every Tuesday.)

Gashwin said...

Actually, Compline has a 1 week cycle. And yes, it's Tuesdays. I believe before the reform of the Liturgy of the Hours that was read daily ... It just seems to be omnipresent ... :)

Jennifer said...

I know how you feel. You should see all the food ads I see when I'm on a diet. :) Temptation is everywhere these days.

milanta said...

Hi, greetings from Peru. As jennifer says temptation is everywhere, but you always decide what to do, right.

Nice blog! bye, Milán.