Friday, August 18, 2006

Liberty airport

... blogging from Newark's Liberty Interntaional airport. Smooth, uneventful, 14h20m flight from Delhi in a packed 777. CO sure treats Elite members well -- separate check-in counters, priority boarding, priority luggage processing (yes, my bags arrived within 5 minutes of the belt starting), wink wink if the bags are a little heavy, and, most importantly, more legroom. They ply you with food and drink (well alcohol still costs in the main cabin but I don't drink while flying anyway), and at least this cabin crew seemed a little less attitudinous than others :)

Extra security? Nothing out of the ordinary -- one mother traveling with a baby was asked to taste the baby food at Delhi. The absurdity of it was evident to all: the baby's older sister giggled, the security guard couldn't stop lauging, passing passengers just shook their heads. My backpack wasn't hand inspect once -- not in Delhi, not at Newark.

I forgot to take my contacts off, and they didn't dry up!

Now to get Alltel on the horn ... my mobile account is "inactive" for some reason. Their online customer service SUCKS. Their website wouldn't let me pay my last bill. Their email customser service never responded. And they only gave 800 numbers to call, which I obviously couldn't, from India. And it seems I cannot speak to a live human being till 9:00 am today, according to their website. ABSURD! I feel a change of service provider in the air ...

... in the meanwhile, finding a quiet corner at EWR to catch up on some ZZZs while waiting for the flight to Columbia at 8:50 am.

It's good to be back!
Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

Susan Rose, CSJP said...

I so miss having elite status. And I agree, Continental knows how to treat them!

Gashwin said...

Oh I'll miss it too --- I can't see it lasting the Novitiate year ... :) Mine is actually through NW -- which also does well, but Continental (a Skyteam Partner) makes it really worthwhile.

Susan Rose, CSJP said...

I was NW Elite too, but learned that you ALWAYS got upgraded for free on Continental. Plus those yummy chocolate chip cookies!