Sunday, August 27, 2006

A hundredfold

Then Peter said in reply, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you. What then shall we have?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. [Matthew 19:27-29, RSV]
I've always loved Peter's impetuous, oh-so-human, "So, what's in it for us" question.

As far as I'm concerned, the Lord's promise is so true, in this life. Well, at least about receiving a hundredfold. [I'm ok with waiting till the next life to judge the twelve tribes of Israel ... :-)] ... I'm just overwhelmed at the outpouring of love, affection and support as I leave ministry here and start a new life this coming week.

So, to all of you part of the parish family, and to all my friends and well-wishers here ... a heartfelt thanks. "I thank my God always when I remember you in my prayers." (Phlm 4)

No comments: