Sunday, August 13, 2006

Christianity is not just a series of no's

Pope Benedict gave German tevelision an unprecedented interview last week. Now here's the first news report I've seen about the contents. The interview itself, according to Reuters, will be put up on the Vatican website. Oh boy, I cannot wait to see it! Here's some teasers:
"Christianity, Catholicism, isn't a collection of prohibitions," the 79-year-old Pope said. "It's a positive option ... We've heard so much about what is not allowed that now it's time to say: we have a positive idea to offer ..."
The role of women -
Benedict also said the Church was reflecting much about the role of women but repeated that they could not become priests because Christ chose only men as his apostles.

He suggested, however, that canon (Church) law, which currently restricts high-level decision-making roles to ordained males, might someday be changed to give women more power in the Church short of the priesthood.

"We will have to try and listen to God so as not to stand in their (women's) way," he said.
Oh, heads will be exploding! I love this guy!

[It's like 1:20 am ... I better get to bed. If I start googling this more, I won't sleep for a while; 'sides I have to get up to take dad to the clinic ... ]

No comments: