Friday, April 14, 2006

Kommt ihr Töchter hilft mir klagen ...

Growing up, my dad always played Bach's St. Matthew's Passion on Good Friday. Of course, Good Friday is a busy day at the parish (I absolutely love the Chapel of Repose. Somehow, having the Blessed Sacrament there forces me to quiet down and pray, in a way being right next to the regular chapel every day doesn't!); however, the CD has been playing in the car ... it's one of my favorite pieces of music.

O kommt ihr Töchter hilft mir klagen
Sehet -- wen?
den Brãutigam
Sehet -- wie?
als wie ein Lamm!

O come ye daughters, share my mourning
See ye -- whom?
the Bridegroom
See ye -- how?
just like a lamb!


Listen. (mp3 link)

Full-text.

One of my favorite arias is "Erbarme dich mein Gott."

Erbarme dich,
Mein Gott, um meiner Zähren willen!
Schaue hier,
Herz und Auge weint vor dir
Bitterlich.

Have mercy Lord
my God, because of this my weeping!
Look thou here,
Heart and eyes now weep for thee
Bitterly.


A blessed Triduum to all.

No comments: