Saturday, April 08, 2006

Baroque delight ...

St. Peter's downtown has a new music director [here's the post on the Candlemas Vespers for his official installation], and they've had this series of music concerts recently, it seems. A bit steep for this town methinks, with a $15-20 "donation" attached. Anyway, rather last minute, I ended up there Friday evening for a Baroque Passiontide performance by the fantastic New Trinity Baroque ensemble from Atlanta, which performs on period instruments. Bach's Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, a Cantata ("Widerstehe doch der Sünde" -- resist all sin. Lots of fire and brimstone that sounded way too beautiful in the deep voice of the mezzo-soprano soloist)and a Sinfonia concertante. And Vivaldi's Stabat Mater, one of my favorites, which I've never heard performed live. (My favorite Stabat Mater is Pergolesi's, used to such haunting effect in Jesus de Montreal) The most haunting lines for me, verbally as well as musically in both Vivaldi's and Pergolesi's rendition, are these:
Eia, Mater, fons amoris
me sentire vim doloris
fac, ut tecum lugeam
Oh mother, fount of love! Let me feel the power of sorrow, that I may weep with thee! A nice way to enter into this Holy Week ... !

No comments: