Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The carnality of it all

Artist Mary Knarr on why she's Catholic. It's the carnality of it all. I love it! (Via Open Book).

In your latest book, "Sinner's Welcome," you write that what led you to religion was your desire to stop drinking. How did that happen?

I was going to Alcoholics Anonymous at the time, but I just kept getting drunk. I'd go on back to meetings, and each time I'd start drinking again. But then I'd come back and ask for a new suggestion.

I was told by one woman I met, who was an ex-heroin addict, to get on my knees in the morning and at night and say to some power greater than myself that I wanted help staying away from drink or drugs.

I said, "OK, I'll do it. But I'm doing it like if you said, 'Slaughter a chicken, and swing it over your head' -- that's the way I'm doing it." She just said, "Pray every day for 30 days and see if your life gets better."

I take it you didn't believe it would work?

No! Absolutely not! I was an agnostic at the time. But the weird thing was, it was 30 days later and I wasn't drinking. Then it was 60 days, and then it was 90 days, and I still wasn't drinking.
Which reminds me. I need to go pray. Night all! :-)

No comments: