Sunday, January 22, 2006

March for Life ...

Blogging from Leesburg, VA --- some 40 miles out of the District. Spent the day driving a van full of college kids up here for the March for Life tomorrow (Jan 23). Long drive, but quite uneventful, up I-77 then I-81 along the Shanandoah Valley. We got in as estimated at about 9 pm, and are the guests of St. John the Apostle parish.

This is my first time at the national March for Life. I have to admit I'm a little ambivalent, because the somewhat strident nature of the "pro-life movement" can be off-putting. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% pro-life. Sometimes, I wonder if the rancor gets in the way. Relapsed Catholic had a neat post on this aspect of the pro-life movement a little while back that kinda captures what I'm talking about.

Anyway, it's probably a little churlish of me to bring this up now. When we got in, we trotted across the extensive grounds of the parish to the beautiful old church on King St. in downtown Leesburg, and spent some time in prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament, before praying Compline. There was a quiet dignity and tranquility in that church, a very prayerful silence. And I think we all prayed for an increased respect for all human life. For all the women who feel that this is their only choice. And for an end to the scourge of abortion.

Please pray for all of us.

3 comments:

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Appreciated the Relapsed Catholic link--the point about talking past each other, never seeing each other's issues, is an important one.

Gaswin writes: "Please pray for all of us."

Will do.

Heather said...

I just wanted to let you know I was blogging on your blogs and the March for Life in DC. Thanks for the represenation! And I'm glad you all got home safely!

Gashwin said...

Heather -- thanks for the feedback. I read your post over at your blog ... we've had this conversation before, and I'll respond when I get a chance. I'm going to invite some of my other readers to respond as well ... I hope it can be a dialogue and not just a shouting match, as, unfortunately, conversation on this tends to become very quickly.