Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake ...

... and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church. (Colossians 1:24)

As many of you know, Matt B goes in to surgery bright and early in the morning. Last night when we were talking, he said the following, in response to what must be, of late, a rather maddening question, "So how are you doing?" (paraphrased here with his permission, of course):

"I'm hanging in there. You know, and this might sound strange or weird, but I take a lot of inspiration from Pope John Paul II, especially the way he suffered in the end. I pray that this is over soon, but I hope that in some way this suffering can benefit others. I want to offer it up."


O most beloved Pope John Paul, I pray from the depths of my heart, if it be the will of the Lord, that through your intercession, Matt be healed of his cancer, that the surgery be safe and successful, and that he recover quickly. Ora pro nobis!

Matt, dilectissime frater, we're all praying for you in this holy season of hope, that you be cancer free soon!

Folks, whenever you see this, please offer up a Memorare tomorrow for Matt.
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that any one who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help or sought thy intercession,
was left unaided.

Inspired with this confidence,
I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins my Mother;
to thee do I come,
before thee I stand,
sinful and sorrowful;
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in thy clemency hear and answer me.
Amen.


::Update::

I am very grateful to report that Matt's surgery today went off very successfully. It lasted nearly six hours. The surgeon was very optimistic, and there seemed to be no immediate visible sign of the spread of cancer in the ear. The final results will be known after the pathology reports of the glands they removed. This is all good news so far. "He's young, he's healthy. He has everything going for him," were the surgeon's words.

Please continue your prayers, especially that he be cancer free soon!

No comments: