Sunday, November 27, 2005

Ave Maris Stella


Pictures of Stella Maris Catholic Church, Sullivan's Island, SC Posted by Picasa

So much for lasting till Monday. :) Was down at the Isle of Palms over the break, and went over to Stella Maris. What a beautiful little church, right next to Ft. Moultrie!


So why, o why, don't they build churches like this any more?
Anyway, it seems appropriate to start out this holy season of Advent in a church dedicated to Our Lady.



Ave maris stella!
Dei mater alma,
atque semper Virgo,
felix coeli porta.

Hail O star of the ocean!
God's own mother blest,
Ever sinless Virgin,
Gate of heavenly rest.


PS: I've just created an account at Flickr. You can check the rest of the pictures of the church there!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Sullivan's Island. Haven't been there in so long. That is one of my favorite vacation spots ever!

Glad you are enjoying your vacation, while I am slaving away over my stupid paper.

Maggie

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

I hope the paper comes through ok Maggie! Thanks for tagging me :)

Sullivan's Island really is gorgeous.

Now to get the rest of my pictures on to Flickr ....

Anonymous said...

Gashwin,

I like the photos within the church. Good use of light to create an emotion of the holy space.

I must confess that I enjoy image
DSCF3552-1 (the exterior shot of a statue of Mary through the trees). Your assistant did quite well with the artistic composition to suggest the shot.

Keep up the photography!

Sincerely,

Dogwood