Sunday, October 16, 2005

St. Hedwig, pray for us

So today is the feast of St. Hedwig, a the wife of a Silesian prince who lived in the late 12th century. She devoted her life to the care of the poor, the sick and founded hospitals and orphanages. And, until recently, I didn't make the connection, that this is why J.K Rowling named Harry Potter's owl Hedwig. Many thanks to Fr. Roderick Vonhögen (a priest of the Archdiocese of Utrecht), at that most excellent and fun of Catholic podcasts, the Catholic Insider for that insight. Scroll through the archives, he's got a great series on the various mythological and Judaeo-Christian allusions and references in the Potter books. He also mentions Star Wars and the Matrix along the way. Among many other interesting things.

And for those into podcasting (well, at least listening to them), Dev has a great list of Catholic podcasts at his blog.

Thanks to this handy little thing, I can download tons of podcasts to my iPod, and listen to them in the car ... I'm afraid NPR has been eclipsed for a while ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gashwin,

Thanks for sharing this podcasting information. The Catholic Insider is a wonderful site.

Do you foresee doing your own podcast?

Sincerely,

Dogwood.

Sean said...

that's okay...npr is doing their pledge drive now anyways.

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

My own podcast? Ha! Not regularly -it's too much work - I've thought about doing one on my travels. Though, I'm not sure wandering the streets of Beijing this winter with a recorder will go down well with the authorities ... we shall see :)