Sunday, October 16, 2005

Our Town

So, I went and saw Thornton Wilder's classic Our Town yesterday (i.e. Saturday evening) with some friends. Not having been force-fed this in school, I had no inkling as to what to expect. ("The sets are grand!" was what my friends ribbed me with. Ha!) Turns out it was a wonderful play, very well performed and quite powerful. The living just don't get it, do we?

Found myself musing that the vision of the dead, as they sit expectantly for ... well, for what isn't exactly clear ... and become indifferent to their past lives, being urged detachment, seems almost more Buddhist ("desire/attachment is the root of all suffering") than anything I've come to understand about the close connection between the living and the dead in the Christian vision of the Communion of Saints.

Be that as it may, a great play, that makes one squirm, discomfited about the complacencies of life. Savor life y'all! Be awakened! See! (And while you're at it, and if you're in the area, you can still catch the performance at the Chapin Community Theater.)

(PS: This really must be a high-school favorite. Google it and there's almost nothing but endless varieties of Cliff Notes! Parce Domine!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gashwin,

I'm quite surprised that you didn't receive this in your high school education. Tisk, Tisk. (Smile)

Any one who has missed this seeing this play should attend a performance. It's part of the American experience.

Sincerely,

Dogwood.

Heather said...

I once played Mother Gibbs in this unforgettable American classic. Instead of thinking of the dead as waiting for something, consider them living for something. When I had to sit in the graveyrd (night after night of the production) I never felt like I was waiting for Emily or anything else, it was more along the lines of wanting to bestow my wisdom. I like to think of it as the knowledge that comes with heaven, and not needing to do the earthly things like move around, but being able to just sit and be (which most humans are wuite incapable of).
If it helps, also remember that some Prostetant sects have a belief in a type of pergatory where they have to wait ofr the Lord's second coming on earth before they are allowed into heaven. If I recall, the Christians in the play are protestant, and this might be the visualization of their beliefs.
Moreover, I remember specifically being given the direction to not move. As Emily is in the graveyard longer and longer, she is unable to move as well. I think it might be the slow transition into another existance - no one ever said you go straight to heaven.

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Thanks Heather -- that was quite helpful. I was also thinking initially of purgatory -- that this really did seem like a vision of purgatory. My initial thoughts got caught up in the idea of "indifference" to the life that is lived. Anyway, it really is an awesome play!