Wednesday, October 19, 2005

करुणा विहार Karuna Vihar

The Garden of Compassion

[On the visit to India in August, I made a day trip to Dehradun to visit Jo Mcgowan-Chopra, whom I’ve corresponded with, on and off for a few months. Jo is American, married to an Indian, and has lived in India for decades. She writes a delightful occasional column for Commonweal. The following is from my diary of the visit]

I get off the train and walk towards the main exit. How will I recognize Jo in the crush of people? How will she recognize me? And I’ve forgotten her phone numbers back in Delhi! Luckily, I had the foresight to wear a Carolina t-shirt. I spot a slim white lady standing by the exit in a simple purple salwaar kameez, Yep, it’s her. On the drive to her place, we share background stories – how long have I been in the US, how long has she lived in India, etc. The streets of Dehradun are narrower and less crowded, a relief after the craziness of Delhi.

Soon we’re in a quiet leafy residential neighborhood, and pull up at her modest two story bungalow. After a quick wash to freshen up from the ride, and the obligatory (and quite welcome) cup of chai (tea), we chat over a delicious breakfast of aloo parathas, hot off the stove. “How’d you become Catholic?” “Why the priesthood?” Her husband, Ravi, listens politely. Ravi has a long, wide, white beard that extends down to his torso, and piercing deep black eyes. He looks like a sadhu, a holy man. “Yes, kids on the street here run up to him and ask for an aashirvaad (blessing)! But, my folks suggested that in the current climate, he shouldn’t come to the US to visit.” It takes me a second to realize that the look I automatically thought of as a sadhu, could be considered the look of a terrorist in the US!

After breakfast, Jo takes me to the offices of Karuna Vihar, “The Garden of Compassion,” round the corner from her place, in what used to be their former house. The grey clouds of the morning have disappeared, the sun is out in a bright blue sky with fluffy white clouds. It’s still cooler than Delhi! The offices are bright and airy, and I am introduced to the other staff. We sit down in her office where she leaves me with some brochures describing the organization and a beautiful calendar.

Karuna Vihar is a school for children with mental disabilities (or handicaps, in accepted Indian parlance), now celebrating ten years, “started by a group of friends who included a mother of child with special needs. It consists of three separate projects dedicated to the rehabilitation of children and young adults with mental and physical disabilities.” (that’s a quote from the promotional material). Apart from the school, there is an early intervention center for infants, a vocational training center for graduates of the school, and Latika Vihar, a kind of neighborhood club for children, especially for those from lower income groups. The materials are slick, professional, and appealing. I decide that at some point after I return I’ll try and publicize this at my parish.

During a break in her schedule, we chat about the attitudes in India towards children with mental disabilities. I feel that one of the most important things they do is an awareness campaign to change attitudes that treat such children as burdens and embarrassments, and leaves them invisible and hidden. Jo also shares her experience working with Mother Teresa’s orphanage, and the philosophical differences between their two approaches to working with disabled children.

At 11 am there is a break for chai with the staff – we end up talking about the differences, good and bad, between sleepy Dehradun and Delhi, what changes have occurred since Dehradun became the capital of the new state of Uttaranchal a few years ago, and the excitement at the prospect of McDonald’s opening a franchise in town!

At 11:30, Jo goes to a meeting, and I hop into one of the vans to go to visit the school itself, through sleepy roads, hardly any traffic, arriving at a large two storey house. I’m shown around the different rooms – the math room, the language room, the play room, the music room, all on the ground floor of the converted residence. The kids seem to be having a blast, and some look up at me curiously. One waves and flashes a bright smile when I wave back. I am suddenly overcome by a feeling of utter peace and joy. I chat a bit with Manju, the Principal, in the garage, now the office: she’s been at Karuna Vihar since day one, and is quite proud, like everyone else, of the upcoming tenth birthday. A family is waiting to talk with her – mother, father and a boy, about 10 years old. The parents look nervous, and speak softly. The boy is dressed smartly, white shirt, grey slacks. He gives me a huge smile. I smile back. I’m guessing they’re here to discuss his admission to the school.

On the drive back to the offices, Suresh, the driver, asks me if there are similar places in the US. I try and explain what little I know about the existence of special needs facilities, schools etc. in the public school system.

At lunch, I meet Jo’s children, Cathleen, her younger daughter, who’s just graduated and will be interning at Karuna Vihar during the year, and Moy-Moy, the youngest, who has cerebral-palsy. After lunch, her husband returns to work, and Jo, Cathleen and I spend the most enjoyable afternoon talking about a whole variety of things – India versus the United States, Catholic parish life in India, the meaning of evangelization and mission in a pluralistic society, etc. etc. Moy-Moy sits with us as well in her wheel-chair through the afternoon. Before we know it, it’s approaching four pm. After some chai, I bid farewell, and take a rickshaw back to Dehradun station, to board the fully air-conditioned and reserved Shatabdi Express back to Delhi. After a smooth ride with almost non-stop food service (chai, snacks, soup, dinner, dessert, soft drinks, more chai), I’m dislodged at New Delhi Railway station at 11:15p, and haggle a Rs. 200 ($4.65) cab ride back to my brother’s place.

It’s been a wonderful visit, and a privilege to see the Gospel being lived out so beautifully. The song we used to sing in 7th grade at St. Xavier’s in Ahmedabad (based on St. Matthew, 25:40), keeps ringing in my head, “Whatsoever you do, to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me.”

Please check out Karuna Vihar’s website, at the Latika Roy Memorial Foundation: http://lrmf.org/. Posted by Picasa

No comments: