Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Allen interviews our metropolitan

(Archbishop Wilton Gregory of Atlanta)

On viri probati

If the synod does say a definitive “no” to the viri probati, do you believe that closes the conversation?

I’m not naïve enough to believe in Roma locuta est, causa finita est. I’m sure the conversation will go on. But the pastors of the church who assembled here have come to this conclusion, as a matter for the universal church. This does not prevent, however, a bishop or bishops’ conference facing a specific set of circumstances from coming to the Holy Father and saying, ‘This is our situation, can we take a look at it?’
On divorced and remarried Catholics

What about the situation of divorced and remarried Catholics? Again, the synod looks set to largely reaffirm existing discipline?

In my experience, the synod fathers are far more conflicted on this question than on the viri probati. Many of the fathers, fully knowing and accepting the teaching of the church, nevertheless came back asking, what am I going to say to these wonderful people who find themselves in an awkward situation, who want to practice their faith and be good parents and yet find themselves in this situation? How do I deal with these people who come to me every day? What do I say to my pastors who face these challenges? How can I be true to the practices of the church, but help my priests to be sensitive and compassionate in their outreach? These are wonderful Catholics who come to you and say, “Bishop, I love my church and my faith, I was in an awful situation, I accept my responsibility, but now I’ve found a loving spouse and we have wonderful kids, and I want to be a practicing Catholic. Help me!” What do you say?
On communion for dissenting politicians

So we should not expect a uniform policy from the universal church on this question?

I think the only way to go is to leave it to local judgment.
Lots more context, so read it! And, like many, I agree with John, that this synod will be remembered for its clear acknowledgement of the pastoral situations around the world, especially the clergy shortage.

No comments: